Weight loss is not exactly a cakewalk – it takes a lot of effort and hard work to shed the extra kilos! But the biggest dilemma you might face on your weight loss journey is choosing the right exercise, especially if hitting the gym is not your cup of tea. If you are one of those who despise the gym, there are plenty of other exercises that can help. Case in point: running and jogging. So, they are amazing exercises but which one is better for you to lose weight – running or jogging?
Health Shots reached out to Fitness expert and founder of DtF, Sonia Bakshi to know if running is better for weight loss or jogging!
Running vs Jogging
What’s the first thing that comes to your mind when you think about the differences between running and jogging? You would probably think of jogging as a slow run – which, to a certain extent, is true.
Also Read: If you love running, get your form on track with these 5 tricks
Bakshi says that the main difference between running and jogging is intensity. Running is faster and demands more effort from the heart, lungs, and muscles. It also requires a higher level of overall fitness. Jogging, on the other hand, does not require you to put too much pressure on the body as it takes a much slower and steady pace. As a result, it can be done for longer periods of time. It is also suitable for people of all fitness levels, adds the expert.
People are at a higher risk of getting injured during running. Studies have found that overdoing it or running without a technique can lead to Achilles tendinitis, plantar fascitis, shin splints, stress fractures, and more such injuries. Jogging, on the other hand, doesn’t lead to serious injuries.
Running vs jogging: For weight loss
While the main difference between running and jogging is intensity, the expert says both are an apt choice for someone trying to lose weight. A study published in the Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders found that aerobic exercises like running can help reduce belly fat. Jogging, similar to running, is an aerobic exercise that contributes to weight loss. Studies have found that it is an effective way to burn calories and contribute to a calorie deficit. One hour of jogging can help burn approximately 300-500 calories.
“Choosing to run or jog will not really affect how much weight you lose because your duration of jogging will be more than the duration of your running,” adds the fitness expert
Things to keep in mind if you are trying to lose weight
As per Bakshi, you should keep a few things in mind whether you start running or jogging to lose weight:
1. Start at a slow pace, then progress to jogging, and you can switch to running in a few months..
2. Don’t overdo it. Have rest days every week to allow your body to heal, especially if you have pain.
3. Choose a softer surface whether you want to run or jog, and avoid running on the road.
4. Do not tilt your head down or slump your shoulders while you run or jog.
5. Maintain a good posture and engage your core while jogging or running. Broaden your chest, and keep it lifted as you draw your shoulder down and back.
6. Keep your hands loose, and use a relaxed arm swing.
7. Avoid hitting the ground with your heel as it may cause your leg to slow down your stride and stress your knees.
8. Do some warm-up exercises and stretches before you start jogging or running.
9. Drink plenty of fluids and take a water bottle with you on your body. You should drink some water before, after, and during the activity.
10. Check with your doctor if engaging in jogging or running is a good idea for you, especially if you are overweight, have injuries, or are above 40 years.
Also Read: How to lose fat, but not energy during weight-loss journey
Other factors also play a role in weight loss
If you think weight loss is only possible by working out for an hour and eating junk, you’re wrong! Not only is it vital to eat a balanced diet, but you also need to add different forms of workout like strength training, Pilates, or swimming to lose weight and tone up faster, avers Bakshi.
So, try to incorporate different exercises in your workout and eat healthy to achieve your weight loss goals. Also, do not forget to consult a professional fitness trainer and a doctor to know what will suit you the best!