Be it hold or cold months, you can never say no to a few scoops of ice cream! The US celebrates the National Ice Cream Day on the third Sunday of every July, and that’s a valid reason to enjoy the favourite frozen dessert. While going out and eating ice creams may seem like a tempting idea, but how about treating yourself and your family with homemade ice cream? Take fresh and dry fruits as the star ingredients of your ice cream, making it the perfect healthy dessert. Read on to get a list of healthy ice cream recipes!
To help you with healthy ice cream recipes, Health Shots contacted Sneha Sanjay, Senior Executive, Nutritionist, Cloudnine Group of Hospitals, Jayanagar, Bengaluru.
Healthy homemade ice cream recipes
Ice cream is a yummy dessert that is mostly made with milk, cream, sugar and various flavours and colours. Here are some ice cream recipes you won’t regret indulging in!
1. Coconut ice cream
• Fresh grated coconut – 1 cup
• Fresh coconut cream or thick coconut milk – 2 cups
• Honey – 3/4th of a cup
• Grate only the white portion of coconut.
• Roast it on a low flame till it turns a little golden in colour, but do not wait for it to be brown.
• Using a hand blender, blend honey with coconut cream or thick coconut milk until it forms stiff peaks.
• Add the grated coconut to it, and give a good blend then set this mixture in a bowl.
• Keep it in deep freeze for 6 to 8 hours and then serve.
Sneha says that coconut can improve skin texture and hair health apart from promoting gut health.
2. Vanilla cashew ice cream
• Fresh whipped cream – 1 cup
• Cashew – 150 grams
• Brown sugar – 100 grams
• Vanilla bean – 2 grams
• Whip the fresh cream for 2 to 4 minutes.
• Add the vanilla bean extract and blend again.
• Crystallise the brown sugar and add cashew.
• Allow it to cool and fine chop it.
• Add this caramelized cashew to the fresh whipped cream.
• Mix all the ingredients well and then set in the freezer overnight.
• Add some roasted cashew while serving.
The expert says that cashew is a superfood for glowing skin and that vanilla is rich in antioxidants, which has healing properties.
3. Choco almond avocado ice cream
• Almond milk – 1 cup
• Roasted almonds – 75 grams
• Well ripened avocado – 1
• Condensed milk – 100 ml
• Melted dark chocolate – 100 ml
• Roast the almonds, cool them and chop them roughly.
• Take a bowl and add almond milk and condensed milk to it. Blend it using a hand blender till it turns thick.
• Add avocado to it and blend till you get a smooth puree.
• Add roasted and chopped almonds to it.
• Set this mixture into tiny ice cream moulds and freeze it for 8 hours.
• Dip these into melted chocolate and freeze it for another hour and serve cold.
Sneha says that avocado helps to manage blood sugar levels and boosts bone health as it is rich in calcium.
4. Guava chilli ice cream
• Pink guava – 2
• Fresh cream – 100 ml
• Palm sugar – 4 spoons
• Red chilli powder – 1 spoon
• Cut open the top potion of guava and scoop out the pulp.
• Put this pulp in a mixer and filter it.
• Once you get guava puree, add fresh cream and palm sugar to it and blend it.
• Pour this blended mixture into the hollow guava.
• Sprinkle some red chilli powder and deep freeze for 6 to 8 hours.
The expert says that guava a good immunity-booster, helps to relieve constipation and maintains blood glucose levels.
Once done making them, enjoy the guilt-free ice cream flavours.