In recent times, dipping one’s face in ice water, also known as ice water facial, has gained significant popularity, thanks to its endorsement by Bollywood celebrities such as Alia Bhatt, Katrina Kaif, and Tamannaah Bhatia. While it may seem like just another viral Instagram trend, the benefits of this chilly facial ritual extend beyond social media fame. With the rising temperatures and increased sun exposure during the summer months, our skin requires extra care and attention. Incorporating ice water facials into your skincare routine may help you achieve healthier, glowing skin during this season. Read on to explore the potential advantages of regular ice water face dip and how it can contribute to healthier, glowing skin.
What is ice water face dip?
Ice water face dip, also known as an ice water facial or ice water face wash, is a skincare practice that involves immersing your face in ice-cold water for a short period. It is often used as a beauty treatment to improve the appearance and health of the skin. The process typically consists of filling a basin or bowl with cold water and adding ice cubes to achieve a low temperature.
Benefits of ice water face dip
1. Reduced redness, swelling and puffiness
When you use ice water as a face wash, the low temperature causes the capillaries to constrict. “This constriction helps decrease puffiness, redness and swelling, leaving your skin looking refreshed and rejuvenated,” says Dr Rashmi Aderao, MD Dermatology consultant, Ruby Hall Clinic. By temporarily restricting blood flow, ice water can be particularly effective in reducing under-eye bags and diminishing the appearance of swollen areas. After sometime the capillaries open up again giving a refreshed and natural flushed look.
2. Soothes Irritation and Inflammation
Dr Aderao explains that excessive sun exposure or allergic reactions can often leave the skin red, itchy, and irritated. Ice water comes to the rescue by constricting blood vessels and soothing inflammation. By providing a cooling effect, it can alleviate discomfort and help calm down skin redness and irritation caused by various factors.
3. Tightens pores
One of the benefits attributed to dipping your face in ice water is the tightening of skin pores. According to Dr Aderao, the cold temperature causes the pores to shrink, giving your skin a smoother appearance and reducing the accumulation of dirt, oil, and debris. By maintaining clean and tight pores, you can minimise the likelihood of clogged pores and the subsequent formation of blackheads and acne.
4. Enhanced absorption of skincare products
Ice water can increase the absorption capacity of the skin, making it an excellent complement to your skincare routine. According to the dermatologist, after dipping your face in ice water, your skin’s increased receptivity allows for better penetration and absorption of skincare products such as serums, moisturisers, and masks. This can amplify the benefits of your chosen skincare regimen, enhancing its effectiveness.
5. Increases oxygen content
The cold sensation provided by ice water stimulates blood circulation and increases the oxygen content in the skin. Improved oxygenation contributes to a healthy complexion and a radiant glow. By revitalising your skin cells and promoting a fresh, rejuvenated look, ice water facials can help you achieve that coveted natural flush.
How to do ice water face dip?
To perform an ice water face dip, follow these steps:
1. Prepare the materials: Fill a basin or a bowl with cold water. You can add ice cubes to make the water colder, but make sure not to make it too icy. You want the water to be comfortably cold but not painfully freezing.
2. Cleanse your face: Start with a clean face. Remove any makeup or dirt by washing your face with a gentle cleanser and patting it dry.
3. Submerge your face: Carefully dip your face into the cold water, ensuring that your entire face is submerged. You can choose to immerse your entire face or focus on specific areas such as cheeks, forehead, or chin.
4. Hold for a short duration: Hold your face in the water for about 10 to 30 seconds at a time and repeat 4-5 times. If you feel like you are getting a brain freeze or a headache then stop immediately. Also avoid this practice in cold winter months.
5. Pat dry: After the dip, gently lift your face out of the water and pat it dry with a soft towel. Avoid rubbing the towel against your skin, as this can cause irritation.
Also try: Say goodbye to summer skin problems with this aloe ice remedy
“If you have pre-existing skin conditions such as acne, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), or rosacea, it is advisable to consult with a dermatologist before incorporating ice water facials into your routine,” advises Dr Aderao. Additionally, individuals with sensitive skin should approach this practice with caution, as the cold temperature may exacerbate sensitivity and cause discomfort.
So, if you’re ready to take the plunge, the refreshing world of ice water facials awaits, promising a revitalised and radiant complexion!