Even though Valentine’s Day is celebrated on February 14, you can already feel love in the air. If you plan to head out and enjoy a meal at a swanky restaurant, change it. If you’re looking for fun and wholesome Valentine’s Day ideas, how about a cooking date night with your partner at your home? They say that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, so cooking a few yummy and healthy dishes is just perfect! But why should you do all the work and let him have all the fun? Get him on board and try out these healthy Valentine’s Day recipes with your partner!
HealthShots got in touch with Shruti Keluskar, Executive Nutritionist, Cloudnine Group of Hospitals, Pune, to help in cooking healthy food with your partner. After all, cooking is good for mental health!
Valentine’s Day ideas you can plan with your partner in the kitchen
1. Strawberry sparkler
Strawberries are loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties (red fruits to include in healthy diet). The flavonoid content in them helps to reduce age-related weight gain, says Keluskar.
• 1 cup strawberries
• ½ cup Gingerale
• 1 teaspoon pink salt
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• Heart-shaped ice cubes
• Keep the ice set in the refrigerator. If you have a heart-shaped tray, you can have the heart-shaped cubes. If not then the regular ones will also do.
• Add Ginger ale and 1/2 cup of strawberries in a blender.
• Use the remaining 1/2 cup of strawberries to make a pulp. Adding some water and sugar to it.
• For serving, dip the rim of the glass in pink salt and add 1 spoon of strawberry pulp to the base.
• Pour the blended mixture into half quantities and carefully put the ice cubes.
2. Multigrain toast with Mexican spinach dip
Spinach is a source of vitamins and minerals (health benefits of spinach). Being an excellent source of iron, it helps to decrease oxidative stress in the body.
• 1 multigrain bread loaf
• 1/2 cup roasted seeds
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1/2 cup chopped spinach
• 1/2 cup grated cheese
• 1 teaspoon lime juice
• Chilli powder
• Smoked paprika
• Cut the bread loaf and toast them along with seeds and butter in a pan.
• For the dip, mix rest of the ingredients and bake it for about 20 minutes.
• Serve the bread toast along with the delicious creamy dip.
3. Thai paneer brochette
This tasty protein recipe serves as a great starter or snack. Paneer (benefits of paneer) or cottage cheese is a good source of calcium, and fat-soluble vitamins A and D, says the expert. Sesame seeds are excellent sources of manganese and calcium.
• 100 grams paneer
• 1 tablespoon Thai curry paste
• 1 teaspoon ginger and garlic paste
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon corn flour
• Chilli flakes
• Sesame seeds, black and white
• Sugar and salt for taste
• Cut paneer into equal-sized cubes and put a toothpick in each cube.
• For marinade, mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
• Place the toothpicks in the marinade in a way that the paneer cubes remain dipped completely in it.
• Cover the bowl and keep it in the refrigerator for an hour.
• For grilling, place the cubes in a pan and grill them in batches.
• See to it that they are evenly cooked from all the sides.
• For garnishing, add sesame seeds and chilli flakes.
Cheesecake is loved by many, but the calories that go in with a piece of cheesecake are something to worry about. This cheesecake recipe is perfect if you are looking for a healthy Valentine’s Day dessert.
• 10 Oats cookies
• 1/2 cup Butter
• 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
• 3 packages cream cheese
• 2 tablespoon Sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
• For the crust, mix crushed oats cookies with melted butter and let it set in the refrigerator for an hour.
• For cream, mix the rest of the ingredients and blend them well in a high-speed blender, until smooth. Transfer into a cake mould and bake for 30 minutes till it is set.
• Take it out from the oven and after it comes down to room temperature, keep it in the refrigerator for it to firm up.
Cooking is a mood-enhancer. When you choose it as one of your Valentine’s Day ideas, you will realise it makes the food taste sweeter. Or even if you end up making a mess of the dish, you will land memories that will last you a lifetime. So, cook it up!